Monday, March 8, 2010

Mrs. Wright's Class

It is our last week until spring break and I am seeing quite a change in the students’ behavior. We have been very chatty and "excited" this last week so I hope that all of the energy will be used constructively during their week off. Regardless, they are doing super with their reading, writing and math skills. Last week I introduced money to the students. A few of the kids were familiar with the coins, but as a whole we need a lot more practice recognizing and counting money. This would be a great skill to practice over spring break! We will spend this week and our first week back after break working with money...they will get it.

We are filling up our word wall. Each week I introduce one or two new words and the kids are getting them. Most all of the students are able to read the list and have been practicing their sight word ring I sent home. Thanks for the reinforcement it is making a huge difference. In AR and reading news it seems like we are adding one student a week to the AR program. Your kids continue to amaze me with the reading skills that they have acquired! All of them are doing super with our reading programs so...Thank you!

Conferences are quickly approaching and I look forward to meeting with each of you March 24th - 26th. A note about your scheduled time should be going home this week, be looking for that. If there is an issue with the time/date, please contact me immediately to make changes! During conferences I will be showing you work samples from your child, their journal writing, going over the third quarter report card and most importantly you will all see our Flat Stanley project. We have finished most of the Flat Stanley books in the series and have started on to another chapter book favorite "The Mouse and the Motorcycle". It has been a joy for all of us in reading these books. I would encourage you to find a chapter book to share with your child at home during the break and even throughout summer. They all are excited about the stories and keep up quite well with what is going on. During the week of conferences March 22-26th) we will also have our school-wide book fair going in the library. Please feel free to stop by and get some great books. They will have a "buy one get one free" deal going on, so come in and check it out!

Well, I hope all of the students enjoy the week off and find some fun things to do to occupy their time. Before we know it the break will be over and I will be visiting with each of you...I look forward to it!