Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mrs. Wright's Class

Thank you to all of the parents who came to our spring conferences! I had an excellent turnout and was so glad to chat with you about your child's progress. Since we are down to the last 2 months of school we will spend the remainder of the year fine tuning our writing skills, introducing addition and subtraction as well working toward starting the AR reading program. While all students may not get to AR, I would like for your children to be reading at least 1 book per week from our "Book in a Bag" program. If your child is currently in the AR program I would also like them to be checking out at least one AR book and taking the coordinating quiz. Keeping the reading going throughout the summer is going to be critical. You do not want your child to be taking a 2 month break from this essesntial skill. Their success in starting off the year right in first grade will depend on good reading habits. Therefore, I encourage you to all visit the library frequenly or purchase some leveled readers from the book store or Scholastic. I have been so thrilled with the progress of each of the kids in regards to reading and my hope is for you all to continue to nurture that over the summer!

Our kindergarten field trip is scheduled for Monday, April 12th. It will be a regular school day for your child so they should arrive at the normal time (8:00am). We will leave the school at 9:30 am and return at 1:30 pm. Dismissal will go on as always (2:40 pm), however, if you plan on picking your child up early that day please sign them out in the office. The kids are really excited to visit the farm and next week we will begin reading books and doing activities in regards to farmers and farm life. This will be a fun time for all!

I appreciate all of your help and support with our classroom this year. I know I told many of you at conferences that this has been a SPECTACULAR year for me and I am not ready to let go of this class! You have all made it a pleasure to teach your children and I have enjoyed this group of kids so much. If you should have any questions or concerns about the field trip or any other issue, please contact me. I look forward to spending the last 2 months of school with your kids and hope that each of them enjoy the reminder of their year in kindergarten.